UFC 227 medical suspensions: Cody Garbrandt potentially out six months for broken hand
Former UFC bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt highlighted a list of six fighters to be issued potentially lengthy medical suspensions in the aftermath of UFC 227.
The California State Athletic Commission released the event’s finalized medical suspension report to MMA Fighting on Thursday.
Garbrandt suffered a first-round knockout loss to UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw in the main event of UFC 227. To add insult to injury, Garbrandt also suffered a broken right hand in the contest, MMA Fighting confirmed on Thursday following an initial report by ESPN. As a result of his broken hand, Garbrandt will be forced to seek doctor’s clearance on his injury or sit out 180 days before returning to active competition, per CSAC officials.
The five other UFC 227 fighters who received extended medical suspensions were: Brett Johns (indefinite, possible orbital fracture), Kevin Holland (60 days, laceration to left eyelid), Alex Perez (60 days, laceration to left eyebrow), Wuliji Buren (60 days, laceration to top of scalp), and Jose Torres (45 days, KO loss).
All other fighters on the card received mandatory seven-day medical suspensions.
UFC 227 took place Aug. 4 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Calif. The night’s main card aired live on pay-per-view.
A complete list of UFC 227’s medical suspensions can be seen below.
- Brett Johns: Suspended indefinitely or until cleared for facial injury, possible orbital fracture
- Cody Garbrandt: Suspended 180 days no contact or until cleared by physician for possible fracture to right hand; minimum suspension of 45 days no contest, 30 days no contact due to KO loss
- Kevin Holland: Suspended 60 days no contact or until cleared by physician for laceration to left eyelid
- Alex Perez: Suspended 60 days no contact or until cleared by physician for laceration to left eyebrow
- Wuliji Buren: Suspended 60 days no contact or until cleared by physician for laceration to top of scalp; minimum suspension of 45 days no contest, 30 days no contact due to KO loss
- Jose Torres: Suspended 45 days no contest, 30 days no contact due to KO loss
Source: Source link